- Case Type:
- Case Status:
- Affirmed in part and Reversed in part
- No. 18-1411, 2019 WL 855326 (4th Circuit, Feb 21,2019) Not Published
- District court applied the unclean hands doctrine too broadly in barring the claims of an unsecured creditor.
- Procedural context:
- District court granted summary judgment in favor of the Buckingham family and against United Bank.
- Virginia Commerce Bank (VCB) loaned John D. Buckingham Sr. millions of dollars. Buckingham was a successful Maryland businessman. His company's assets included life insurance policies in his name. His company's decline paralleled the decline of his health. David Buckingham was appointed guardian of his father's property. Both VCB and the Buckingham family claimed a right to the proceeds of his life insurance policies after his death. United Bank acquired VCB.
- King, Keenan, Quattlebaum
3217 in the system
1 Being Processed